“5 minutes Sofia” – National Institute of Archaelogy with Museum

“5 minutes Sofia” – National Institute of Archaelogy with Museum


5 MINUTES
SOFIA National archaeological museum
has had many names over the years. Right after the Liberation in 1878 it was simply called Department of values
to the newly created library in Sofia. In 1892 it was changed to National museum and in 1909 it was already called
National archaeological museum. Today the museum is a real treasury, a guardian of the history
of the present Bulgarian land. The history of the museum
is part of the creation of the young Bulgarian state
in 1878 and 1879. The creation of a museum right after
the Liberation of Bulgaria was a necessity, that existed in the years
before the Liberation, and the museum was
one of the main factors and we might even say institutions for the strengthening
of that new national identity. Initially, the collection of the museum
at Sofia’s library was growing rapidly through donations, thanks to
hundreds of teachers across the country, which sent everything that
in their view had value, as part of the history
of the Bulgarian land. In 1892 there were so many exhibits,
that the museum department at the library had to be separated into
an independent institution, leaded by the Czech
Vaclav Dobrusky. In the first day of the next year
prince Ferdinand legalized the establishment with a special act
under the name National museum. The exhibition of the museum was placed
in Buyuk mosque in the center of Sofia, which was built in the XV century. It was officially opened on May 18, 1905 in the presence of prince Ferdinand and
the country’s political and cultural elite. Archeological excavations started,
and the museum was filling its funds buying out antiquities and
pieces of art from private individuals. Just a few years after its separation, because of the variety and value
of the possessed exhibits, National archaeological museum in Sofia became one of the most
important museums on the Balkans. WWII was a hard time for the
National archaeological museum too. The building was harmed
during the bombings, the museum documentation
and part of the library burnt. After the war, an Archaeological
institute and Museum was built at the Bulgarian science academy. The National archaeological museum
in Sofia is already open for public. The museum has one of the world’s
most diverse collection of items from the prehistoric, ancient
and medieval epochs. Today the museum
stores numerous artifacts, acquired during the researches
of Bogdan Filov, Garvril Katsarov, Ivan Velkov and afterwards Rafail Popov – one of the most famous
Bulgarian prehistorians. Valuable artifacts from different epochs are
kept in the National archaeological museum. One of the most impressive
examples of the prehistory is the figure of Mother goddess,
found near Mursalevo village, dating back 6000 years B.C. –
to the beginning of Neolithic culture! Other valuable findings are the figure of
a bull with a rider from Kapitan Andreevo and the stamp seal from Karanovo – one of the first evidence
of writing across our lands. The museum also has
an amphora found in Duvanlii, a breastplate from Mezek,
found by Bogdan Filov, and the famous finding from 2004 –
the head of the Odrysian ruler Seuthes III. The Valchitran golden treasure
and the Lukovit treasure, as well as over evidence of
the Thracian culture are also here. The museum has a broad collection
of artifacts from the Roman empire. The exposition has another
extremely curious exhibit – a stone plate, advertising the games and
battles in the Amphitheater of Serdica. The Proto-Bulgarian
period is represented by inscriptions on columns, which
sealed the peace treaty with Byzantine, and records of god Tengri –
a unique stone library. Today, National archaeological institute with
museum at the Bulgarian science academy rightfully is considered the biggest
archeological research institution in Southeastern Europe. Producer:
KAMEN VO STUDIO Directors: MISHO LANDJEV
and KAMEN VODENICHAROV

1 Comment

  • Мира Иванова says:

    Свидетелства за бог Тангра няма, на В.Бешевлиев много му се е искало да има и е намерил под вола теле на доста разрушен надпис

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *